Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Commuity-Building Experience

Choose two of the following from the “How to Build Community” poster on the cabinet near the door of room 206 (consider choosing actions with which you have little to no experience):

*Take Time to Get to Know Your Neighbors
*Sit on Your Stoop
*Plant Flowers
*Use Your Library
*Play Together
*Buy from Local Merchants
*Take Children to the Park
*Have Potlucks
*Garden Together
*Pick Up Litter
*Read Stories Aloud
*Dance in the Street
*Talk to the Mail Carrier
*Help Carry Something Heavy
*Barter for Your Goods*Start a Tradition
*Bake Extra and Share
*Sing Together
*Mediate a Conflict
*Seek to Understand
*Learn from New and Uncomfortable Angles

If you're looking for more options, try
here...

After you've made your choice, perform the act. Repeat if necessary. Repeat repeatedly if you find the action to be one that is worthwhile.

Then, use your wisdom, your creativity, and that big ole heart of yours to reflect on the experience(s). Consider using the following questions as a guide. Make up some of your own questions if it helps…

*What was the short-term impact of your action on you? on others?

*What might you imagine the long-term impact will be on you? on others?

*How might your neighborhood/community/our school/this world look if this
action became more common than it is now?

*To what extent did this experience allow you or others to feel ‘more alive in the time’
that you have?

*On one level, such little gestures do not change the world. On another level, it is
precisely such little gestures that change the world. Care to comment?

*Post your responses to any of the above questions here by clicking 'New Post' prior
to class on each of the following dates:

Monday, November 16th, 2009 & Monday, November 23rd, 2009

Have fun!

25 comments:

  1. I couldn't find anything about a "New Post" on the page, so hopefully a comment will work.

    Learn from New and Uncomfortable Angles

    A few days ago, I climbed up in a tree. While I was up there, I took pictures of people who passed under me (they knew I was there). Usually, the person on the ground takes pictures of the people up higher. New perspectives come everywhere, even in a tree. If we always took the time to look at something from every angle, nothing in the world could be missed and fewer things could be taken for granted. So climb more trees. Things look different from up there.

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. This says it's from Eddie but it's really from Libby! I'm using my brother's Google account thingy.

    Pick up Litter / Garden Together

    This weekend I participated in Adopt-A-Highway with Service and Eco Clubs and went out to I-275 and Route 32 to pick up litter. I know a few hours on a Saturday morning will not change the world, but it did make a significant difference in the world of the animals who live in the grass by the highways. We found a box with a few mice in it, and by ridding the mice's habitat of dangerous objects and litter, such as crushed pop cans, peices of sharp, ruined car bumpers, and over the counter medicines, we were able to be stewards of God's creation. If the whole world picked up litter, God's creation would be even more beautiful than it is now.

    Both last weekend and this weekend, I have done yardwork with my family and my best friend who was nice enough to help us. Raking and bagging the vast amount of leaves in our yard took up most of this time. The short-term impact is that obviously our yard will not be covered in dead leaves that could kill the grass; the long-term impact, cheesy enough, is the memories and jokes that came from this experience. They contributed to the bond formed between both my family and my friend. This experience forced me to realize that no matter how spent, any time with loved ones should be a time to learn from and build relationships.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weekend i picked up litter (with Libby) with the Adopt-A-Highway program. I've done it before and it's frustrating how often the job needs repeated. Picking up trash is one of the services where you see an immediate impact: the highway looks nicer. For a moment, I feel like I really made a difference. However, the long term impact doesn't seem to exist. The highway always has more litter at the next Saturday clean up. It'd be great if everyone started cleaning up the highway every weekend, but it'd be even better if people just stopped littering in the first place. The community would be aesthetically more appealing and more nature-friendly if this act became common.
    Personally, I don't feel a huge connection, but that may be because I had to wake up early and it's just not my favorite thing. I just do it because it's a good thing to do that I can do. I don't necessarily feel more alive or anything.
    As far as little gestures go, I think that's the only thing that does change the world. Big political campaigns don't provide hope, babies do. TV commercials don't make people change, experiences do. A world wide law to recycle can't force people to love our planet, but small gestures like cleaning up the highway one morning can inspire people to rethink their view of our planet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^ that's Sam Tucci
    I'm on my mom's account

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter English here,
    I also went to pick up litter with the Adopt a Highway group this saturday, small world. This was my first time going to pick up the highway; it was an enlightening experience. At first id didn't seem to bad, but as my group got further away from the entrance ramp, I noticed an increase in garbage(it is hard to throuw away garbage and turn at the same time). I was surprised at howmuch people throw out of their car. I had to pick up a strand of toilet paper, let me just say i was thankful for gloves. Some other things we saw were cans, gas caps, bottles of human waste, and drinking containers. Why do people do such an act? I had a great time cleaning it up, somehow, because i was building a community. Mr. Roflow always complains about people honking at us, but i think they are showing there appreciation. It might not affect how people in the community live but they still support it. I think they feel disgusted as well about the mess on the highway. I can't wait to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be considered cheating the system picking this one but I chose use your library.
    I had to go to a library I was unfamiliar with and I had to use microfilms for "on the day I was born" project. It was cool seeing drawers upon drawers of microfilms of newpapers from all over the world. I went with a friend and we used a machine that was so old it could have been a dinosaur. If my friend wasn't there to help I probably would have been there for five hours. Because it was a Sunday night, the library was pretty quiet. This experience helped me to feel "more alive in time" because my eyes were opened to something new. I was expecting old laminated newspapers. If this action became more common than it is now I'm not sure how much the community would change...it might make people closer because it would be another place for people to bump into each other. The library means sharing, taking care of things, and trusting other people will take care of those things also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yi-Young Yiyang Zhang

    Use your library
    Normally, a school library is a place to hang out with friends, to chat and to laugh. It is a place to study but the majority time we spend there is considered as leisure. A public library is a place to study, to learn, to know the society. I spent a lot of time in the school library after school, doing homework, chatting. This gives me a chance to know this small community better, as a school. Watching people walking through the library, typing on the computer, reading magazines, I find many people I don’t know, many people I’m a friend with. What they’re doing tells me who they are.

    Also, I’ve been to public library several times. Totally new to this place, the only goal to go there is to look up information and to study. I remember I spent a whole afternoon in the public library reviewing SAT subject tests, two other people shared table with me, two college students. From this I know a part of this society, college life. Still, there’re people sleeping in the library, surfing the internet, these reflect another side of the society.

    Going to the library always can help me to know the society, no matter the big one or the small one. I enrich my knowledge by not just checking information, reading books, but also observing the society. This makes me aware some problems of the society, make me think more. If I could go there more often, the more I will find out about this society. Maybe someday I can think of a solution in this unique place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go to a play
    I went to see the "Noises Off" performance last Friday. By going I helped support McNick's theater program and the cast and crew. It was an amazing play, but especially because I knew most of the actors and all of the hard work they had put into making it great. Going to plays is a great way to be involved in the school community because it lets the theater participants know how very much they are appreciated and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bake Extra and Share
    Hey this weekend I helped my mother bake a bunch of cookies for my friends when they came over to my house on Friday. It was fun and it was cool when my friends proceeded in telling me how awesome the cookies were. Sharing what I helped to make really made me feel good and I know that my cronies enjoyed the treats.I know it does not seem like a big deal in building the community but it helped my community of friends to be closer. Now I bet they will be coming over again. Anyway, it was pretty sweet and helped us enjoy the night. These little deeds of kindness can spread and impact people to be nice to others and such. I hope my action has that tiny impact. Well I have to go, I will see ya in class on Monday, peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pick it up even though you didn't drop it.

    I also joined Libby, Sam, Peter and Robbie this Saturday at the highway clean up. So since you've already heard all about it, I'll try to make this sound a little different. Cleaning up the highway is fun because we find all sorts of crazy things. We clean up only a small area compared to all the land that is actually littered in this world, but we're not the only ones cleaning up areas of land. No one can clean up all the land in the world so we have to split up the work. We clean up one piece of the huge puzzle. Without that piece the puzzle can't be finished, so by looking at the big picture we can see that our little act really does impact the world.

    Looking at the grass before and after is neat because we get to see the result of our work. Another cool thing is finding weird stuff. I found a box, put it in my garbage back, started walking, and then notice that the box was moving. I looked in it and saw three mice and without thinking screamed and threw the box. We ended up leaving the box until we were finished so that the mice would eventually crawl out on their own. Also, we found enough car parts to assemble our own car.

    It's a fun thing to do and I recommend it to everyone. The more people we have the faster we can clean.

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, so mine is a small modification on sing together, which I’m changing to scream together. This weekend, instead of just watching the Bengals game with my family, my dad, uncle, and I watched it with two family friends we haven’t seen in over a year. We got along great, and united under supporting our local NFL team sweep the Steelers for the first time since 1998. This game allowed us to all loosen up and enjoy our time together, as well as share in the excitement of an entire city getting behind a successful football team. We were very noisy, and every first down was like a small riot in front of the TV where everyone got up to cheer, high five everyone else, and just generally celebrate. I don’t think that will really change the world, but it revived some old connections and brought some fun into our day, so in that way, it did change our worlds for the better, even if only a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joey Schoettelkotte

    It works now!

    I went to see the McNick production of "Noises Off," which was amazing both times. I helped out the McNick theater program (which according to DJ needs money badly) and I got to spend two evenings relaxing with friends and enjoying the talents and hard work of more friends who put together the show. Plus I think I entertianed the cast and crew both times I went.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha, I'm Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take Time to Get to Know Your Neighbors

    I live in a condo. My neighbors all look kind of scary because they are all big and never smile. I never had a long conversation with my neighbors before. However, last weekend, I actually got to talk to one of my neighbors. She was walking with her dogs when I was outside to recycle. One of her dogs was kept smelling my legs, and I started to pet her dog. I am really a dog lover. When my parents call me, I always talk to my dog.
    Anyway, she usually says hi and then leaves, but she started to talk to me this time. She was surprised that I petted her dogs because my guardians are really scared of her dogs. She told me that my guardian ran into the house one day because of her dogs. By the way, her dogs are gigantic. The conversation was really about dogs. I told her that I miss my dog in Korea, and she realized that I was an international student. She asked me bunch of common questions like how long I have been here, why I picked Cincinnati, and which school I go to.
    I guess both my neighbor and I had a stereotype. My neighbor thought I would be scared of her dogs just like my guardians, and I used to think that she was a cold person because she is big and never talked to me. I guess I have good neighbors:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Garden Together...

    I helped my aunt and uncle along with my cousin in cleaning up their yard. We cleaned up all the leaves and did lots of weeding and other things.

    It was nice because it saved my aunt and uncle hours of extra work that would have probably took them an extra day or two to do. It allowed us to come together as a family and complete a project that made it not bad to do.

    It was a really nice day and fulfilling and was better than sitting at home doing nothing like usual.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is Amanda
    Play together
    I played with my three nephews when I babysat them the other night. It was nice because I don't get to spend time with them very often and it let us form more of a bond together. Playing with them allowed me to relax and not feel stressed about school and life in general and just enjoy being with them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't get a chance to post last weekend because I was on a college visit, and we didn't bring the computer along. So this is two weeks worth in one post.

    Open the door for someone who has his or her hands full.

    I always try to hold the door for someone if they are walking behind me as I am passing through the door. I do it even if someone is really far behind me or if they don't have something heavy. It makes me feel really good inside. I will admit however that I've done it so much that it has become a habit. It isn't the good deed that it once used to be. But last week, I held the door for a woman who was carrying a particularly heavy load. I didn't think anything of it until she offered to give me money. Just for holding the door. And she was insistent about it. She was so thankful that I did this for her that she was willing to give me her hard earned money. I realized then that something so simple, something I took for granted, would mean so much to someone.

    Join in to help carry something heavy.

    This past week, the neighbor that lives behind me called and asked if my dad and I would move a desk for her. I was late for a rehaersal when she called, but my dad told me to help. Begrudgingly, I went over with him and helped. grumbling the whole way there (bring careful not to show it). When we got there, my dad and I started to move it, and I realized, "Huh, this is heavier than I thought." When we finally got it moved to its final destination, I had totally forgotten that i was late for anything until my dad said something. I just felt really good about helping our neighbor. And she was so grateful for our help. It's because of doing things like this that she knows wh can always help her when she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Say hello to strangers.

    The other day I was at Jersey Mikes and an older couple walked in. I said "hello" and she smiled and noticed that I was from McNick because I had on my McNick uniform. She asked me what grade I'm in and asked where I'm going next year to college. I told her. Then she asked me what I'm majoring in and she continued talking to me even after I was done paying. She was so sweet and I was happy to be able to meet someone who I'm most likely never going to see again. It's fun talking to new people about random things. Being nice to strangers and people we know brings the community together by building trust and friendliness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Help Carry Something Heavy

    It was more of a family thing, but I helped out with several heavy things. I rearranged my still unpacked room. I also carried and dug around in several unpacked boxes in search of one book, which I still did not find. It was a fun little search though, with my dad, who always has to carry everything because he is strong. My mom and I also had a little bonding time agreeing and disagreeing about where to put the things in my room. Its those little moments with my parents that put us close together. While rearranging my room I felt like my mom was more of a friend because we shared opinions, argued amicably, and came to a conclusion. It brought us close together. Being closer to the people around you can help you establish stronger future relationships.


    Also, I'm waiting for the opportune moment to dance in the street. I want to see for myself how I can build a community by being a goofball. (I'll get people to join me)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This weekend I accidently let my 1 year old puppy out of the house. We have an electric fence, but she isn't trained to use it yet. Luckily, Zoey doesn't like running away. Instead she enjoys running three houses down, then back up to our neighbor's house on the other side. Basically she runs in a big loop around our culdasack (I'm not sure how to spell that?). Three houses down my neighbors have a really old basset hound named Lily and Zoey loves dogs so she ran up to her and started playing with her. My neighbor grabbed Zoey before she could run away again. My neighbor asked me what grade I am in, what colleges I was looking at, etc. He gave me some pretty good advice about choosing colleges. Before this incident, we had only waved at each other before.

    I also talked to the mail carrier. I feel bad because my dad orders stuff for his computer off ebay all the time, so the mail lady has to get out of her car and walk it all the way up to my front door. When I saw her pull up, I made sure to walk down there and get the package so she wouln't have to get out. She gave me my mail, commenting on how many letters there were from colleges. We talked about college for a little. She was a really nice lady, who, like my other neighbor, I had never really taken the time to get to know because I was younger than them and didn't think they would really enjoy talking to me. When we get to know our mail carriers and our neighbors, we are pulling our community closer together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Y Zhang
    Play together & Have Potlucks

    This Saturday, I went to Anderson game with my host family. Even though as a rocket, we should watch our games. Well, maybe it is a relief or something after a week’s pain.

    Before the game start, we stopped at a parking lot and to have potlucks with other people. Everyone is Anderson fan (maybe except me), children go to Anderson or somehow related to Anderson. We brought in sodas and some appetizers. Others brought pizzas, chips etc. it was really fun to talk to new people, or to know them. Of course, I could have a nice selection meal.

    Walking with the crowd to the UC stadium, I was surprised to see so many people were there and cheered for their teams. Usually our game is not with a lot of people. The whole stadium was separated into two sections: Anderson and Elder. Overwhelming cheering was a big impression to me to further understand the importance of sports , or football, in this society, not just Bengals, even the high school game.

    ReplyDelete
  22. (This is Sam)
    This week I was talking to some friends who were having really bad days. So when I got home, I baked some extra brownies and left them in their lockers. It really made their days and I got a big hug from both of them. It was nice to put a smile on someone's face and just to spread some love. I definately got the warm-fuzzies.
    It would be incredible if this type of action became more common. I'd love to have baked goods every time I'm feeling down. The world would be a better place if their were more brownies.

    Sam Tucci

    ReplyDelete
  23. Play cards with friends or neighbors
    Hey, its Austin, this weekend I spent the night at a friends house with a few other guys. We spent the night playing cards ad just talking and getting to know each other better. This was great, didn't lose that much money, and we had a ton of fun. Aside from having a great time this was good for the community because it strengthend our group of friends and that is the first step to a stronger community. You have to better each little part of scoiety instead of going for the whole thing at once. Peace, and I'll see you tomorrow in class

    ReplyDelete
  24. Peter again. So for this week I have made our community better by being nicer on the roads. I know that the drivers around you can't tell if you are mad or not, but this is still a big problem. Most people don't realize it, but cars are a killing metal machine of horror. Also why is it that half of eople our age will die from an automobile accident? If cars are a sign of freedom and not destruction than why does such a statistic exist? Cars are probably the first weapon tha our parents handed to us, so be responsible. If someone is going slow infront of you don't tailgate them. Be safe, keep your distance and take this time to look around you or reflect. I didn't realize how frustrated driving could be until this activity challenged me. Understand that people our age have the power to choose if people will die. Fear and respect that power so that you can face it and drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This week I helped carry a ton of cans for the food drive. We collected around 2200 cans, which is more than the average from past years. The cans are pretty heavy when tightly packed into a box, and a bunch of people helped move and count them, to make it a quick and easy job, as well as really fun. This helps Hope Emergency as and other organizations to improve the community by distributing food to those in need. This food drive has the short term effect of bettering people's holiday season, and the long term effect of increasing the good works McNicholas gives to the community. It is the small action of bringing in and moving around a few cans from each person together into one gigantic pool that makes this an action that improves our world of Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete